No matter how efficient and effective your practice is, if you put your client’s sensitive information at risk, it can be detrimental to your nutrition business. You can instantly lose your license and hamper your goodwill in the industry.
In order to make sure that your nutrition business safely processes all confidential data, you need a platform that complies with the guidelines of certain statutory bodies that safeguard the lawful practice and invigilate data protection.
Statutory bodies that ensure security compliance
Every country has its own specific set of laws and acts that govern the national security standards and work towards protecting sensitive patient health information. For nutrition practice, the three most important statutory regulators that you should comply with are:
- HIPAA: The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) of 1996 is the federal law of the United States that prescribes the guidelines for data privacy and security provisions for protecting patient health information. HIPAA protects an individual’s health information from abuse, fraud, unlawful insurance activities, and all kinds of malpractices to improve long-term care services.
- GDPR: The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is regarded as the world’s toughest data protection and privacy law. While the law was drafted and passed in the European Union, it applies to all countries where EU citizens’ data is in jeopardy. The penalties charged by the GDPR can reach up to tens of millions of euros.
- PCI DSS: The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) prescribes a set of requirements by a company to ensure the security of protecting, storing, and transmitting credit card information. It is mandated by all credit card companies to maintain a secure environment of digital transactions. PCI compliance is developed and managed by PCI Security Standards Council that works on a global platform.
Implications of being compliant with these statutory bodies
Lawfulness of processing
It is necessary to comply with these statutory regulations in order to assure your clients of lawful practice. And having their trust can make your process of gathering essential information easier and way more convenient.
Security and protection of your patient’s data
As you are taking responsibility for your patient’s sensitive information, you must safeguard it from all possible threats. Complying with these statutory regulations helps you handle this information justly and assist you in protecting your patient’s confidential information.
Protecting your patient’s rights
Adhering to these regulations also ensures that your patient’s rights will be safeguarded. Some of the basic rights that you will be able to protect are:
- Right to be informed
- Right of access
- Right of rectification and erasure
- Right to data portability
- Right to object
- Right to restriction of processing
Maintaining a complete record of processing activities
Complying with these regulations helps you keep a detailed track of all the collected information and how you received it. It assists you in categorizing your information based on their necessity, as well as which data processors you used to process them. All this information can be helpful at times of potential legal conflicts.
Here’s how Zoconut ensures security compliance for your practice
Zoconut is a HIPAA, PCI & GDPR-compliant platform. We don’t monetize anyone’s data so your information is always protected.
We have an extensive security compliance protocol to ensure your data is kept safe and secure against any kind of threat. Follow all regulations set forth by government bodies, insurance companies, and other accredited institutions at all times.
- Ensure complete protection of patient data including personal information, sensitive medical information, and confidential health records.
- Safeguard financial information like card details and bank account details for repayment using secure third-party payment integration partners like Stripe, Razorpay, etc.
- Conduct all communications including telehealth, chat, email and texts securely with end-to-end encryption and privacy.
- We work with digital infrastructure providers like AWS that provide world-class protection from any threat of data loss. This helps us to build a seamless experience for you on a variety of devices all working in perfect sync all the time.
- Cloud-based data storage ensures protection against potential data loss circumstances. You can export your data anytime with the assistance of our support team. If you decide to stop using Zoconut, you can take all the data generated on the platform along with you. We do keep a backup of your data for security reasons for 30 days after your account is inactive or deleted after which it is removed from all our servers as well.
When it comes to protecting your client’s health information, you need to make sure that your online platform provides the best security to their sensitive data. Hence, adhering to the guidelines of HIPAA, GDPR, and PCI gives your security measures credibility and assures your clients that their information is protected.
Zoconut provides you with a digital platform to run your online clinic, which abides by these statutory regulations and ensures ultimate protection of your data from all kinds of threats.